If you’re a new life coach who has written a book that your trying to sell and your smart enough to contact the media then your going to need to prepare for them to call. You can bet that if you did contact the media and continue to do so that at some point the media will call.
Now I am sure you have many questions about the process involved with getting media and your probably also wondering how to prepare. That’s what this checklist will do for you, it will give you a step by step checklist that will walk you through the process.
1. Your going to need to contact the media – your always going to use email.
2. Your going to need patience – wait 6 – 8 weeks before recontacting them, and when you do just update them about what your doing.
3. The media almost always calls – make sure you give your number on everything you send.
4. Practice your phone skills – prepare a short pitch to give the media when they call.
5. Have a publicity kit – prepared and ready to mail upon request, and always offer to send it to them, don’t wait until they ask.
6. Create a Digital Publicity Kit – send media contacts their for a fast pitch.
7. Create a frequently asked questions list – to make it easier for the media to interview you.
8. Be flexible – offer to be interviewed whenever they want for as long as they want.
9. Send them a thank you – be kind and remind them that your always available even on short notice to chat.
10. When you pitch – update them only never tell them what you want to hear, let them know what you have going on, how many seminars your doing, classes your teaching etc.
11. Stay in touch – feel free to re-contact them about every 6 – 8 weeks and update them with what your doing.
12. ALWAYS ASK – the editor, reporter, producer what they are working on and offer to help them if you can.
13. ALWAYS ASK – for a testimonial and a referral to another media contact they know that might be interested in your story.
This checklist is a good start when dealing with the media, if you contact the media expect and prepare for them to call because they will sooner or later.